Monday, May 4, 2009

Questioning Compost?

Posted below is a common question I'm asked. I've posted a number of links, but I'd like to know what you have to say. Post your answers, stories, and solutions in the comments section.

"I'd love to compost, but it stinks and I can't have my neighbors always complaining about the smell. Is their any way to prevent the stench?"

Article
dealing with common compost problems of grass clippings, diseased plants, and herbicide and fertilizer residue.

Article
dealing with Grass Cycling, Composting of grass clippings and dealing with chemical residues.

Great posting
dealing with the smell of grass clippings specifically.

USGA
article

3 comments:

richard orval
May 4, 2009 at 2:58 p.m.

do you know of any golf courses who are using compost? apparently this property use to until the sixties and ive always considered going back to it if it works

May 5, 2009 at 4:56 p.m.

I know a few, I'm planning on writing an article about the various ways to compost grass where I'll be highlighting a few courses, and the lessons they've learned.

Its funny, all courses constructed before the forties use to compost, but its now a long lost art. I'll do my best to find some good techniques.

May 5, 2009 at 4:57 p.m.

It's funny, I've had two conversations about composting today, both with young superintendents.

Check out my previous post on composting.

http://goforethegreen.blogspot.com/2008/11/compost.html

Post a Comment

Search The Blog